The Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center Staging The Unexpected
Built in 1904 by a syndicate of local businessmen, The Mahaiwe is one of the oldest surviving theatres in the country. Spacious enough to serve traveling Broadway shows of its time, it has also served as the site for vaudeville, silent movies, talkies and concerts. Celebrated for its splendid acoustics, the theatre has played an important role in the life of the area.
The Mahaiwe opened on September 5, 1905. It had seats for 1000, dressing rooms and a modern ventilating system. Decorative paintings of garlands and flowers enlivened the walls and ceiling, and the lobby was rose and ivory with mosaic borders. Much of this décor will be restored.